DATE: TBA (usually late Sept or early Oct)
ENTRY DEADLINE: TBA (usually early Sept)
TIME: 1:00 – 5:00 PM
LOCATION: West Chester University
SPONSORING CHAPTER: Main Line Music Teachers Association
MUSICAL SCORES: One original copy of the music must be provided for the judges. Photocopies are strictly prohibited.
AGE: The Dorothy Sutton Performance Festival is open to Pennsylvania residents of any age, including adults.
FEE: TBA for Local Festival (non-refundable)
SOLO PIANO REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS
- Two (2) memorized pieces. Music for the elementary level should be contrasting in style. Intermediate and advanced levels should be from two different periods of music history.
- Simplifications, or arrangements, are NOT acceptable, unless the original composer is the arranger (i.e. Liszt transcriptions, Brahms Waltzes.)
- Arrangements of movie, Broadway or pop songs, hymns, organ literature, etc.; simplified or partial versions of classical repertoire (i.e. anything not originally composed for piano solo) is NOT acceptable.
THEORY TEST REQUIREMENTS
- Any student who has passed level 8A and 8B is exempt from taking the test.
need not progress to a new level every year.
- Ensemble students also performing as soloists will take only one test.
- Ensemble students performing as an ensemble only must take a test, at of the least experienced member of the group.
- Test re-takes are not permitted.
- Students are not permitted to see or take the test before the designated test date.
- Performance level and theory level need not match.
- Any piano, vocal or instrumental student of a PMTA member may participate in the DSPF Preliminary Auditions.
- Students in ensembles who are not students of members may participate for an extra fee, and the ensemble must be coached by the PMTA member
- Students and families are not permitted to bring food/drinks or eat/drink on the premises of Evaluations or Honors Recital Venues.
- Students are expected to wear appropriate attire: NO JEANS, SNEAKERS, T-SHIRTS, SHORTS OR HATS
Begun in 1980 by Dorothy Sutton, the Dorothy Sutton Performance Festival is an opportunity for the talented music student to participate in a State Festival in a Showcase Recital. To assure high standards, the student must first qualify with a Superior rating in Local Preliminary Auditions, and must demonstrate a minimal knowledge of music theory by passing a written theory exam with a grade of 85%. Students performing at the State Festival Showcase Recital will receive a gold medal and a Certificate of Participation.
State PMTA Solo and Ensemble Showcase Recitals are held at various colleges and Universities in PA in November.