Local Preliminary Auditions
ENTRY DEADLINE: September
TIME: 1:00 – 6:30 PM
LOCATION: West Chester University
SPONSORING CHAPTER: Main Line Music Teachers Association
Click here for the MLMTA website
MUSICAL SCORES: One original copy of the music must be provided for the judges. Photocopies are strictly prohibited.
AGE: The Dorothy Sutton Performance Festival is open to Pennsylvania residents of any age, including adults.
FEE: $19 for Local Festival (non-refundable)
SOLO PIANO REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS
- Two (2) memorized pieces. Music for the elementary level should be contrasting in style. Intermediate and advanced levels should be from two different periods of music history.
- Simplifications, or arrangements, are NOT acceptable, unless the original composer is the arranger (i.e. Liszt transcriptions, Brahms Waltzes.)
- Arrangements of movie, Broadway or pop songs, hymns, organ literature, etc.; simplified or partial versions of classical repertoire (i.e. anything not originally composed for piano solo) is NOT acceptable.
THEORY TEST REQUIREMENTS
DOROTHY SUTTON PERFORMANCE FESTIVAL THEORY TEST CONTENT – click here
- Any student who has passed level 8A and 8B is exempt from taking the test.
need not progress to a new level every year.
- Ensemble students also performing as soloists will take only one test.
- Ensemble students performing as an ensemble only must take a test, at of the least experienced member of the group.
- Test re-takes are not permitted.
- Students are not permitted to see or take the test before the designated test date.
- Performance level and theory level need not match.
- Any piano, vocal or instrumental student of a PMTA member may participate in the DSPF Preliminary Auditions.
- Students in ensembles who are not students of members may participate for an extra fee, and the ensemble must be coached by the PMTA member
- Students and families are not permitted to bring food/drinks or eat/drink on the premises of Evaluations or Honors Recital Venues.
- Students are expected to wear appropriate attire: NO JEANS, SNEAKERS, T-SHIRTS, SHORTS OR HATS
Begun in 1980 by Dorothy Sutton, the Dorothy Sutton Performance Festival is an opportunity for the talented music student to participate in a State Festival in a Showcase Recital. To assure high standards, the student must first qualify with a Superior rating in Local Preliminary Auditions, and must demonstrate a minimal knowledge of music theory by passing a written theory exam with a grade of 85%. Students performing at the State Festival Showcase Recital will receive a gold medal and a Certificate of Participation.
The 2018 State PMTA Solo and Ensemble Showcase Recitals and the PMTA Concerto Festival will be held on Saturday Nov. 3, 2018 at Temple University.
You must be logged in to post a comment.